Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Charlie Brenneman, aka “The Spaniard.” If you’re a mixed martial arts or UFC fan, you may recognize Charlie from his time in the octagon, but these days you’re more likely to find Charlie at a book signing of his best-selling book Driven: My Unlikely Story from Classroom to Cage or speaking to/coaching athletes and business professionals.
And while it seems a little strange to have a UFC fighter on a golf podcast (especially a fighter that doesn’t really golf!), Charlie’s story and his message resonates across all athletic endeavors, especially the mental side of golf.
In 2007, Charlie left the comfort of his hometown and full-time job as a Spanish teacher to pursue a career in mixed martial arts. What started out as a dream soon turned into reality. After upsetting #6 ranked Rick Story in 2011, his life changed as he skyrocketed into the world rankings and went head-to-head with the best fighters in the world, such as UFC Champion Johnny Hendricks and current top-ranked light heavyweight Anthony “Rumble” Johnson.
The key ingredient in his climb to the top is hard work.
While illustrating specific principles and examples that helped propel him to the top of the fighting world, Charlie provides a very real, authentic look at what it takes to succeed in life. With over two decades of winning and losing on center stage, his mission is to share his insight and perspective with practical and relatable examples to help assist you in your journey.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Charlie Brenneman’s Background
- Charlie has fought at every level of the industry, including an 11-fight UFC career.
- He has transitioned his experiences as a professional fighter into professional speaking and mentoring.
- Charlie has been knocked out cold on live television, and has lived out his own “Rocky” story in front of a million people.
Highlights from this Episode
- We talk about the parallels and differences of being on the tee box vs getting in the ring, staring down the guy across the mat who is looking to tear your head off
- Charlie shares the mental processes he goes through before each fight, noting that he is at his best when he’s ‘not thinking’.
- How Charlie gets his confidence. He wasn’t born with it and had to work hard for it. Charlie takes the approach of doing your absolute best at whatever it is you do, and believe that you can do anything.
- The advice Charlie would give to the golfer when things don’t go as planned. Whether you lose a fight or have a bad round of golf, there are things you can do mentally to pick yourself back up and get into a positive mindset again. The key is to set a time frame that you allow yourself to feel bad, and once that time is up, move on. (eg the “10-day rule”)
- How Charlie learns new skills – it comes down to hard work, and modelling other people who have the skills you want to learn.
- Charlie’s real life ‘Rocky’ story.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson at Kiawah Island
If there were a cage match between Jason Day, Jordan Spieth, Rory McIlroy and Tiger Woods, who would come out on top?
What are you most excited about moving forward?
To give people the confidence to change their lives.
Where to find Charlie Brenneman:
Podcast: The Fighter’s Mindset
Charlie’s Book: Driven: My Unlikely Story from Classroom to Cage
To continue the conversation and ask any questions you may have, head over the 18STRONG Facebook page.
Get a copy of Jeff’s Best-Selling Book: “The Golfer’s Guide to a Bogey Proof Workout”
Get your very own 18STRONG t-shirt
Check out the 18STRONG Complete At Home Warm-Up Video and Cheat Sheet
Check out the 18STRONG Flexibility Guide
Check out the 18STRONG e-Book and Video Series: 5 Yards in Less Than 5 Minutes
Connect with 18STRONG
18STRONG’s Facebook Page
18STRONG’s Twitter Profile
18STRONG’s Instagram Profile