What does it take to make your workouts and golf game 18STRONG? Join us as Dave Phillips, co-founder of TPI (Titleist Performance Institute) shares his expertise in the world of golf fitness and instruction. Dave gives us an inside look at the beginnings of the TPI, the initial vision, and how it has evolved into such a huge successful business that has impacted hundreds of thousands of golfers across the globe.
Dave Phillips is one of the world’s premier golf instructors and one of the founders of the Titleist Performance Institute. Dave has worked with many of the top golfers on the tour over the past 25 years and is one of the most well respected authorities in golf instruction and golf fitness.
You Can Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes by clicking the button below:
Dave Phillips’ Background
- Dave is located in Oceanside, California and is a co-founder of the Titleist Performance Institute.
- Member of the PGA of America and has devoted the past 25 years to becoming a world-class instructor.
- Rated one of the Top 100 Teachers in the country by Golf Magazine and Top 50 by Golf Digest.
- TPI was developed by Dave Phillips and Dr. Greg Rose with the goal of creating the world’s first true golf performance facility that looked at every aspect of a players game, from equipment fitting to biomechanics and the human body.
- Since the start of the education seminars in 2006 there are now close to 15,000 TPI certified experts in 58 countries around the world.
Highlights from this Episode
- Dave walks us through the vision of TPI when it was just beginning and how he and Dr. Greg Rose, with the support of Titleist, built the world’s top training and practice facility for golfers.
- He gives us some insight into the new project they have coming up for the youth golfer, the Junior Development Pathway, and providing the parents with a bit of a roadmap
- Dave explains how the company has grown and how the overall mission has slightly evolved into an education based company, with the result of over 15,000 instructors being certified and hundreds of thousands of golfers being helped overall.
- We discuss the separation of fitness and instruction, and how a team of experts can be very effective if each know their role and communicate well.
- We get into some technical advice from Dave on the topic of SEQUENCING in the golf swing and how to work on improving your own sequencing.
- Dave tells us a few stories of players he has worked with, like Padraig Harrington, and what kind of role fitness has played in their game, both good and bad.
- We discuss Tiger Woods’ current state of play and his chances moving forward.
CaddyShack or Happy Gillmore?
What are you excited about in your near future?
Dave is really excited about the Junior Development Pathway that they are creating in order to grow the game and give the junior golfers the best chance to have fun, learn the game and grow as athletes.
Where to Find Dave Phillips: