Today I am very excited to announce our guest; Michael Manavian. Commonly known as the Bodybuilding Golf Pro. Michael has dedicated his life to improving performance in many arenas. Through his aspirations of becoming a professional golfer, Michael has spent over a decade researching and implementing how to best develop champion athletes.
His passion quickly branched out from golf to include coaching champions in bodybuilding, physique competitions, CrossFit, cycling, running, basketball, baseball, lacrosse, and hockey. By combining his vast knowledge of weight training protocols with individualized nutrition regimens, he is able to elicit the desired biochemical response to produce champions.
In this episode, Michael shares some of his strategies for fueling the golfer to maximize performance on the course.
Michael serves as a partner of the Greenwich DX Sports Labs and is our Director of Golf and Performance Nutrition.
Michael Manavian’s Background
- Michael earned his B.S. in Business Administration with a concentration in Professional Golf Management from Methodist University.
- He turned professional in 1997 and has been a professional golf instructor and coach since.
- His bodybuilding titles include three class wins, two best poser awards, and a runner up in the IFBB North America Championship.
- He assisted in the development and marketing of a nootropics supplement to be used by PGA Tour professionals and various other professional athletes, looking to legally improve their focus and cognitive skills under the new WADA rules.
- His clients have won: PGA Tour events, Low Club Professional honors at the PGA Championship, PGA Section events, National Championships, achieved IFBB professional status and won many regional and local bodybuilding and figure competitions.
Highlights from this Episode
- Some of the things that people have to think about when it comes to nutrition. We talk about the details of what your eating plan should look like, as you come up to an event. During the week, and on the day. Spoiler: you should not be hungry.
- Michael’s general recommendations when it comes to amounts of macro nutrients you should be eating. We talk about the differences for amateurs, athletes, body builders, elderly etc. across carbs, fats, and proteins.
- A few ‘healthier’ substitutions if you don’t want to fill up your calorie count with burgers, fries, and shakes.
- How to handle hydration. Carbohydrates actually hold a lot of water themselves, and water shouldn’t be ‘guzzled’ down in one go. Have steady portions of water throughout the day in order to stay well hydrated. We also talk about how you can add creatine to hydrate your cells internally.
- How branch chain amino acids can help you on the golf course. 70% of all muscle requires BCAAs, so it’s quite important to have the right amount if you’re trying to build or maintain muscle.
- The importance of sodium, in the right amounts. Even on cold days, you can sweat more than you think you might, which ‘leaks’ out a lot of your sodium. Electrolyte drinks can be a good way to maintain your sodium levels.
Where to find Michael Manavian:
Michael has been on the show previously, on episode 18.
To continue the conversation and ask any questions you may have, head over the 18STRONG Facebook page.
Skratch TV: SKRATCHTV.com
SuperSpeed Golf: SuperSpeedGolf.com
Connect with 18STRONG
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!