Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Padraig Dooley. Padraig is the owner of Drive Golf Performance, based out of Ireland. He is a former Irish international amateur golfer who went on to play in several professional tours, and is now passing on his experience to golfers as a PGA professional.
His work is focused on the mission of getting golfers to play better golf. He does this in a number of ways, through things like fitness and mobility, having fun while practicing, swinging from your non-preferred side, and many others.
In this episode Padraig tells an entertaining story involving an elephant and a few people in the trunk of his car – more on that in the episode!
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Padraig Dooley’s Background
- Has a degree in mathematics and statistics.
- PGA professional, TPI certified, Trackman Certified Professional, Irish international, EuroPro Tour and Challenge Tour professional.
- After his playing career, he decided to shift his efforts to helping others improve their game by sharing his experiences.
Highlights from this Episode
- Padraig’s approach to coaching, and how it’s different to most. He likes to focus on having fun and focusing on the better aspects of a golfer’s game, rather than just the weaknesses.
- Swinging from the ‘wrong side’. We go into the (well documented) advantages of playing left handed as a righty, and vice versa. Padraig found in a study he conducted that not only swinging, but hitting from the wrong side improved a golfer’s ball speed from their preferred side.
- We go into other benefits of swinging from the non-preferred side, such as bodily symmetry, hand/eye coordination, injury prevention, and more.
- Playing golf in Ireland, and the best way to go about organizing it. Padraig’s brother John, actually offers golfing trips to Ireland as a concierge service.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
Arnold Palmer at Cypress Point
What are you most excited about moving forward?
Padraig’s main mission is to help people shoot lower scores. This winter, he’ll be conducting a ‘push-up study.’ He’ll get golfers to do 20 push-ups, 3 times a week, to see if that improves performance.
Where to find Padraig Dooley:
Twitter: @podgedooley (Padraig)
Twitter: Drive Golf Performance
Concierge Golf Tours in Ireland: http://www.conciergegolf.ie/
To continue the conversation and ask any questions you may have, head over the 18STRONG Facebook page.
Looking for Supplements you can trust?
We’ve teamed up with Designs for Health (DFH), one of the leading nutrition companies in the US to create the 18STRONG Nutrition Shop. Now you don’t have to worry about wading through all of the products on the shelves, trying to figure out which one is decent and safe. We’ve done the homework for you. This is the stuff we at 18STRONG trust for ourselves, our families, and our clients.
Here is a little video on the background of DFH and why we decided to go with a company that puts “Science First”: Designs For Health