Blair Wheeler is not a PGA tour pro or coach, sports psychologist or fitness professional, but Blair is a guy like us . . . just a regular dude working on his golf game, except there is one difference . . . Blair is what is known as a “golf influencer” and makes part of his living working with incredible brands like PXG, incredible coaches and buddying up with PGA pros to not only play some golf but also see their workout routines, al despite having a HC index of 11.2.
It was fun (and very familiar) to talk to Blair about the journey that he is on, just like many of us, to become the golfer that he wants to be while also having a job and kids and not having the time commitment of a tour player. A lot of times we relate the things that we talk about on this show or in golf magazines with the vision of what the tour pro is doing and what they do to get better, but what about us? What are the things that we can do to go from a 20 to a 10 handicap? That’s what our conversation with Blair is about.
Blair Wheeler’s Background
- Husband, Dad, Average Golfer, Crossfitter.
- Like 99% of golfers I’m pretty average, being an 11 handicap. I just happen to have a lot of followers and I’m working on telling the story of how I’m getting better at the game, and becoming a better golfer through fitness and mobility
Highlights from this Episode
- The different hats he wears as a golf influencer from content creator to podcast personality and what led him down this path and journey to document how he is improving his fitness and golf game and condensing down the volumes of knowledge from amateurs and professionals alike.
- His experience in utilizing a crossfit style workout for his golf game, what he likes to incorporate from the crossfit realm and how he takes out what doesn’t serve his current fitness goals. He also talks on how he focus’ on being a better athlete and fit person first and lets the more golf specific things fall in line behind that goal.
- What his golf game looks like, how he manages his time between golfing for fun and golfing for work, and t he benefits of getting a professional golf club fitting.
- What his ideal round of golf looks like, his goals for 2021, how his golf content has taken him around the US and across the pond to Portugal and what advice he can give as to how he lowered his handicap from 20 to 11.
Favorite Golf Movie?
Favorite Golf Book?
Tight Lies by Ted Denton
What is your walk-up song to the first teebox?
Thug Motivation 101 by Young Jeezy
If you could play anywhere in the world with any 3 people, who would it be and where would you play?
My dad, Greg Norman, and My father in-law or Tiger at Pinehurst No. 2
What workout do you do but most loathe?
Anything on the Assault bike
If you could only play one course for the rest of your life, which course would it be?
Pinehurst No. 4
Greatest piece of advice?
Don’t take advice from your buddies.
Find out more on Blair Wheeler at:
LINKSOUL: For your 20% discount on LINKSOUL gear, go to 18strong.com/linksoul or click the logo below.
To continue the conversation and ask any questions you may have, head over to the 18STRONG Movement group on Facebook.