Adam Kolloff is the Director of Instruction for the Jim McLean Golf School Liberty, host of the 2017 President’s Cup. As a PGA Professional, Adam has quite the impressive pedigree in the Pro Golf realm and joins us today in the wake of the President’s Cup to talk about his experience from the week and specific aspects of the golf game that he works on with his clients and overcoming physical limitations.
Adam Kolloff’s Background
- He worked directly under Jim Mclean while he was an Instructor at Trump National Doral. During this time he worked with several tour players including Keegan Bradley, Gary Woodland, Jamie Lovemark, Jon Curran, Brad Adamonis, and Lexi Thompson.
- In 2015, he teamed up with Jim McLean to publish their book, “The Ultimate Guide to Trackman Swing Analysis.”
- Golf Digest recently selected Adam for being the “Best Young Teacher for 2016-2017.”
- Adam’s approach: Anybody can learn the golf swing, it’s important to learn the game.
Highlights from this Episode
- Adam tells us his experience at Liberty National during the Presidents Cup week, from talking to the players and their reaction to the course, as well as his background and what lead him to the position he is in now.
- The importance of addressing physical limitations and using that information to better the game and expedite the process of fixing technical issues.
- How training for speed in the swing is integral in Adam’s teaching approach and the hidden importance of kneeling swings in generating speed and using lower body in the swing. He also goes on to explain the physicality of different swing styles and the different factors that go into swing shape.
- How different sports backgrounds (or lack there of) previous to golf can have specific tells and effects on the swing. We also go into the PXG Clubs, how they stormed the market, and why they have garnered such a following.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What is your walk-up song?
Sure Shot by the Beastie Boys
Who would you want to spend a day on the course with, and where?
I’d have to bring back my Grandfather if I were to pick one person, If it was a foursome I would bring in Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan. We would play Pebble Beach
What has you most excited about the game moving forward to the future?
Working with the young kids I mentor and getting to see them evolve in the game. I’m also excited to see the direction that golf fitness is going.
What’s one piece of advice you have for the 18Strong Community?
A great way to practice is using impact tape. Go to the range, get a bucket of balls, hit 5 shots with every club in your bag, and you’ll get so much feedback seeing where on the clubface you are hitting that ball.
Where to find Adam Kolloff:
Connect with 18STRONG
Facebook Page Twitter Profile Instagram Profile
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!