Once again, we have our buddy Adam Long, PGA tour Player AND Winner, joining us on this week’s show. You might remember that we had Adam on this past September on Episode 207 just after he secured his PGA Tour Card from finishing top 25 in the Web.com tour.
We chatted about what his expectations were, how he was preparing for his upcoming rookie season on the PGA Tour, and what his goals were.
Well now with a PGA win under his belt, he’ll be playing in both the Masters and PGA Championship and his whole world of golf has changed thanks to his rounds at the Desert Classic, besting the likes of Adam Hadwin and Phil Mickelson with a birdie on 18 to get his first PGA Tour win.
This time, Adam is on to talk about his big win, how life has changed since his whirlwind of a time getting into the PGA, and how he is prepping for the next big events. It’s rare that we get such an inside look from a player behind the scenes at what’s going on so I know you will enjoy this interview.
Adam Long’s Background
- Adam Long grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, where he was a four-time all-state All-Metro selection and ranked 8th in the Golfweek Junior Golf Rankings. From high school, Adam decided to start his collegiate golf career
- He was an All-ACC and Academic All-ACC team selection on the Men’s Golf Team at Duke University.
- Adam quickly turned pro after graduating from Duke in 2010 with his bachelor’s degree in Sociology.
- In 2018, Adam earned his PGA Tour card for the 2018-19 season via his Top 25 finish on the Web.com Tour.
- Adam won the 2019 Desert Classic in Palm Desert, CA with a birdie on the 72nd hole to capture the title over Phil Mickelson and Adam Hadwin.
Highlights from this Episode
- He gives us his perspective on the Desert Classic, being in the final pairing with 2 really well-known golfers, and how he was just expecting to have a good game he could be proud of and goes on to win and when that win really sank in.
- What that win did for him in terms of scheduling, the exemption this win has granted him which has completely changed the way he views professional golf, how he was struggling to get into the amateur and pro competitions less than a year ago and now he can pick and choose how, when, and where he can play.
- What getting and being sponsored as a professional player looks like and how getting sponsored works (performance-based bonuses, package deals, caddy sponsorship deals, etc.)
- What his preparation for the Masters looks like through studying the course, and working on his fitness/mental game and what the MDF scoring is and how they use it to keep the pace of play going when you have too many players.
Follow Adam Long on Social Media:
To continue the conversation and ask any questions you may have, head over the 18STRONG Facebook page.