What does it take to make your workouts and golf game 18STRONG? Join us as Dr. Beau Beard shares his expertise as a chiropractor working with golfers at all levels. Beau gives us a detailed look at how pain and injury are often misconceived, and the repercussions that improper movement/postures can have on our game and lives.
Dr. Beau Beard is a Chiropractor in Birmingham, Alabama, where he and his wife Sloan own and operate The Farm (Functional Athletic Rehabilitation & Movement). He specializes in teaching people to move better and feel better, relying on techniques and principles that not only address a clients pain, but the underlying causes of dysfunction.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Dr. Beau’s Background
- Grew up in a small town in Illinois
- He broke his leg playing sports as a youngster, requiring surgery, plates, screws, and basically was told he wouldn’t run or play sport competitively, ever again. They were wrong.
- This is where is introduction to medicine and chiropractic care happened.
- He attended Southern Illinois University for undergraduate school and Logan College of Chiropractic.
- He obtained his Doctorate of Chiropractic and his Masters in Sports Science and Rehabilitation
- Beau has worked intimately with athletes of all levels and all sports. He has worked with the University of Missouri, Bradley University, Lindenwood University and most recently Samford University, and has served as assistant medical director of several trail and road races.
- Beau and his wife own and run a private clinic in Birmingham, Alabama hwich is appropriately named The FARM (Functional Athletic Rehabilitation & Movement) in
- Beau also works very closely with Mark Blackburn (Blackburn Golf and TPI Instructor) at Greystone Golf and Country Club
- He also works with sports psychologist, and our good friend at 18STRONG, Dr. Bhrett McCabe (episode 006)
Highlights from this Episode
- Beau tells his story of how he got into chiropractics as a result o a broken leg from sports early in his athletic career
- He has also has a great story as to how he and his wife Dr. Sloan Beard, decided to start their practice in Birmingham, Alabama after breaking down on the side of the road there.
- Beau and I highlight some of the gems of wisdom that we both took from a course that we attended this past weekend on postural function, breathing, and overall better movement.
- Sometimes it’s the simple things like breathing and moving with better quality that are the most important ingredients in keeping your body injury free.
- We discuss injury and pain, and how the 2 do not always go hand in hand. As Beau said in the interview:
“Pain is often the LAST to show and the FIRST to go!”
- Which means that by the time you have pain, the problem has been there for a while, and just because you alleviate the pain temporarily, doesn’t mean you’ve eliminated the true PROBLEM
- Beau demonstrates this with a great story about one of his players who struggled with pain in his back, that ended up not really being a back problem!
- #MWTLB this is one of the mantra’s that rings through the walls of the FARM, which stands for
“MOVE WELL TO LIVE BETTER”
- Beau also shared with us a cause that is very near his heart called “TEAM Z”, which started with his nephew Alexander who was diagnosed with stage III anaplastic large cell lymphoma in May of this year (2015). He is battling through his last round of chemo and the scans look GOOD!
- TEAM Z was started as an effort to raise $ for the clinic that has helped Alexander and so many other kids (Kapi’olani Medical Center for Women and Children located in Honolulu, HI)
- If you would be interested in supporting TEAM Z by purchasing a teeshirt or hat, or simply donating, YOU CAN DO THAT HERE!
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
“Happy Gilmore. That’s my childhood, man!”
What are you excited about in your near future?
Beau is extremely excited about some of the things they have going on at The Farm, including bringing in another component of Functional Medicine and nutrition. He also looking forward to spending more time at the Greystone Golf Performance Center with Blackburn golf, working with golfers at the performance center.
Where to Find Dr. Beau
Other Links Mentioned
Beau doing some DNS exercises before his train run: