What does it take to make your workouts and golf game 18STRONG? Join us as Dr. Craig Davies shares his expertise as a Chiropractor working and traveling on the tour. He gives us an in inside look at what it’s like traveling with the players and keeping them healthy during these long, grueling seasons.
Dr. Craig Davies is on of the elite Chiropractors and Strength and Conditioning Coaches working on the PGA Tour. In this interview he breaks down some of the challenges that the players have given their crazy travel schedules. He also gives us a look at some of the things he has been working on with his players that are relevant to any golfer.
You Can Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes by clicking the button below:
Dr. Craig Davies’ Background
- Strength and Conditioning Coach on the PGA Tour
- Worked on the last several Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup Teams
- International Speaker in the golf fitness world
- Member of the International Tour Council
- Author of the book Golf Anatomy
- Met Sean Foley in the early 2000’s and has worked side by side with him from the junior circuit all the way up to the PGA
- Players that Craig works: Matt Every, Graham Delaet, Kevin Chappell, Hunter Mahan, Cameron Tringale, Nick Taylor, Justin Rose, Tiger, Anthony Kim
Highlights from this Episode
- The International Tour Council: a collaboration of some of the best fitness, golf and medical minds putting together the research and knowledge they have gathered over the years
- It’s platform for the professionals to share info with the average golfer.
- It’s also a way to create awareness and resources for charities looking to improve health and wellness in many different areas, especially for the youth.
- Craig Talks about the impact that TPI has had on Golf Fitness.
- Craig walks us through a week on the tour, both from the players’ perspective and the fitness professional (not just workouts, but what life is like, lodging, eating, etc).
- Trainers schedule: 12-14 hours a day depending on the players they have on location and how they play.
- Craig describes what the fitness trailers look like.
- We discuss the crazy schedule and number of events that these guys play and how hard it is to keep them healthy.
- Matt Every’s story. Winning Back to Back Arnold Palmer Invitational’s and the work that he and Craig put in over the last year.
- What do you do when someone has trouble grooving the same motion and sequence from one swing to another? (Craig specifically tells us what they worked on with Matt).
- How breathing and the diaphragm play a part in performance.
- Breaking down rotational patterns and the fact that most people, even the pros, don’t rotate very well.
- Craig Gives his definition of “18STRONG” and how Graham Delaet fits this description.
- We discuss the never ending topic of specialization in the young athletes.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
A lot of his players are “trending” very well these days, so he is looking forward to seeing how well they all do.
Last Piece of Advice
Don’t always believe the first person you listen to and don’t think any one person knows everything. You should always be looking to learn more and get better.
Craig believes that training the visual system is going to be the next big thing in golf.
As a golfer you have to be willing to put in the time and effort to get better.
Where to Find Dr. Craig Davies
Other Links Mentioned
Mark Blackburn’s Rotational Assessment Videos (Click on “Member Content”)
AchieveDepth.com: Dr. Davies new website