David MacKenzie is an expert on the mental game of golf, short game and putting. In this episode, David shares with us some of the reasons we struggle on the course, and explains why it is often less about technique, but more about mental attitude and confidence in the work we have already put in.
David has worked with players at every level of the game. Have you ever been on a streak on the course where everything is going great, your irons are hunting the pins and you’re draining putts, then all of a sudden it all falls apart? Is that technique, is it between the ears? David helps us figure some of these things out, and how we can remedy the situation.
We even talk about the . . . (cover your ears if you don’t want to hear it) . . . YIPS! Yep. I know you don’t like that word, but we dive into the “Y”-word.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
David MacKenzie’s Background
- David MacKenzie is the founder of Golf State of Mind and he lives in Washington, D.C.
- David has been a coach for almost 15 years and has taught every level from beginner to Tour Pro with huge success.
- David is a scratch golfer and attended the University of St. Andrews in Scotland, UK.
- He uses the perfect blend of sports psychology and practical application to ensure no time is wasted in you working towards consistently playing to your potential.
Highlights from this Episode
- David shares his story of going from a career in finance to becoming a highly sought after mental game and performance coach for golfers.
- What does a performance coach do? Is it all mental game, swing lessons, putting; David explains.
- We discuss confidence on the course and how you can gain more.
- We talk about developing the right pre and post shot routine that works for you and how you can ingrain it so you don’t have to think when you are getting ready to hit your shot
- David walks us through some of the things that he does with his players to warmup both their body and mind before a round of golf.
- This preparation includes his 10 minute mental warmup, which he describes the following components in detail:
- Personal Highlight Real
- Positive Statement
- We talk about the ever so taboo “Yips” and what they really are, including some ideas you can use to curse them forever
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
Seve Ballasteros. Simply because of the energy and creativity he brought to the game!
Ten Minute Toughness by Jason Selk
What are you excited about in your near future?
Becoming the best possible coach he can and continuously learning more about his craft – the mental game of golf.
Where to Find David MacKenzie
Facebook: Golf State of Mind
Donations Links (The Flood of 2015):
As mentioned in the show, there were many members of the STL golf community and several golf courses that were hit very hard by the massive rains and flooding at the start of the New Year. Below is (are) a link(s) to help out those that are trying to rebuild their homes, courses, and lives. Any and all donations from you as a member of the 18STRONG community would be massive! In fact, let’s see how much this community can raise. So, if you do donate, in the comments, just throw in a #18STRONG and we’ll see just how much we can help out!
The O’Dell Family Fund (click the link to see read the O’Dell family’s story and see pics of Aberdeen Golf Club and the O’Dell home below)