Dr. David Seaman from Deflame.com joins us this week to talk about what you’re putting in your body and how it effects you. David is an expert in in nutrition and his work specifically focuses on inflammation in the body.
From the time he was earning his degrees in Chiropractic and Bio/Nutrition, David has been fascinated with the impact that diet has on pain, inflammation and disease in the body. Through his practice and research he has discover simple strategies revolving around eating “deflaming” foods to stop acute and chronic inflammatory responses in the body.
How does this relate to golf, you might ask? Let me ask you this? Have you ever struggled with endurance on the course? Have you ever had a nagging injury that wouldn’t go away? Ever feel lethargic throughout the day or through a round of golf? All of these can be directly related to what you are putting in your mouth. Dr. Seaman is going to share with you some simple strategies to help with all of these!
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Dr. David Seaman’s Background
- Dr. Seaman is a Professor of Clinical Sciences at the National University of Health Sciences in Pinellas Park, Fl.
- BS from Rutgers University in 1982
- Doctor of Chiropractic from New York Chiropractic College in 1986
- MS in Bio/nutrion from the University of Bridgeport in 1991
- His masters degree in nutrition project focused on nutritional methods for pain control
- The majority of his articles, speaking and book publications have since been focused on the topic of nutrition for in regards to controlling pain and inflammation in the body.
- He recently published his book The Deflame Diet: Deflame Your Body, Body, and Mind
- The DeFlame Diet is about eating anti-inflammatory foods to turn off the chronic disease-promoting “flame” created by pro-inflammatory foods. This is the first nutrition book for the general public that delves into inflammation in great detail, yet in a fashion that is understandable. Readers will never be confused again about what foods we should and should not be eating.
Highlights from this Episode
- Dr. Seaman gives us a little background on why he became so interested in the world of nutrition and how it relates to pain and inflammation in the body
- The term “Inflammation” has become very popular, but can be somewhat misleading. David defines what “inflammation” is in regards to our body and our nutrition.
- He gives several real life examples of what really happens in the body after eating inflammatory foods.
- David explains some of the symptoms caused by inflammatory foods and how they can affect your daily life and golf game
- The 3 main things to avoid:
- refined oils
- Are you a “Dietary Crackhead?” I’ll let him explain this one 😉
- We discuss food quality and why sometimes that may not be the biggest concern. While this might be counterintuitive, David shares how the argument of “quality” can be skewed to lead people in the wrong direction when it comes to which macronutrients they choose (proteins, fats, carbs).
- We also talk about how to make better choices when faced with limited options like only being in a place that has fast food (see the video below on how David was able to get a “Deflame” meal at Five Guys Burgers)
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
CaddyShack (Tin Cup would actually be his 1st choice if it was an option)
One or 2 of the Most Influential People, Books, or Experiences in Your Life?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
Woodrow Wilson or JFK at Augusta or Pebble Beach
What are you excited about in your near future?
He has 3 spin off books in the DeFlame series that he will be releasing. One specifically that deals with the mental aspect of nutrition to help people overcome some of these issues.
Where to Find Dr. David Seaman:
The Book: The DeFlame Diet
Facebook: Deflame Nutrition
YouTube: Deflame Nutrition
The Kitava Study: Kitava Study