Greg Rose, founder of TPI joins me today for our 100th episode! There has been a lot of talk over the past couple of years about whether the benefits of strength training outweigh the risk for golfers at the highest level. When you look at images of guys like Rory lifting 200+ pounds in his workouts and the physical issues Tiger Woods has had over the last 5 years, it’s understandable that from the outsiders view, it’s worth questioning.
So why not ask someone that ISN’T on the outside, like Dr. Greg Rose, one of the founders of TPI (The Titleist Performance Institute) and one of fore-fathers of the entire industry of golf fitness. Greg has personally worked with guys like Rory, in fact, I would venture to say Greg has worked with or at least consulted with the medical teams of the majority of players on tour.
It was an absolute honor to share this very special episode (#100) with Dr. Rose, as he and the entire TPI family have not only been an inspiration to me personally in this adventure that is 18STRONG, but they have also been incredibly supportive of the show. To everyone at TPI and anyone reading this, all I can say is that we hear at 18STRONG can’t thank you enough!
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Greg Rose’s Background
- Greg is one of the Founders of The Titleist Performance Institute (TPI)
- He holds an engineering degree from the University of Maryland.
- Board certified Doctor of Chiropractic specializing in assessing and treating golfers, 3-dimensional biomechanics, strength and conditioning, manual therapy, rehabilitation, nutritional supplementation and therapeutic exercises.
- Greg helped pioneer the field of analyzing 3-dimensional motion capture models of the golf swing.
- His form of functional training combined with golf-specific motor learning drills have made Greg one of golf’s top strength and conditioning professionals.
- Greg also helped develop the Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA), a revolutionary movement assessment that helps identify altered motor control and guides medical practitioners on how to treat patients more efficiently.
- The TPI certification seminar series has made Greg one of the most requested speakers in golf health and fitness.
- MyTPI.com delivers cutting edge information from experts on six continents and 58 countries.
Highlights from this Episode
- Greg shares with us his background and who Greg Rose was “before TPI.”
- Greg’s decision to build a golf practice was simply based on the fact that he wanted to follow the philosophy of “find something you love” and make that what you do. Thus, despite warnings from people that it would never work, Greg build one of the first and biggest golf chiropractic businesses out there.
- Greg shares some fun facts about himself that most people don’t know about him, like his fanatical gardening habit.
- We dive into the topic of strength training for golfers and all of the backlash that has come from the media around golfers putting some real weight on the bar. (see the video below where Greg specifically addresses Rory’s regimen)
- In addition to this, we discuss why the equation F=MA (Force = Mass x Acceleration) which is definitely an eye-opener when looking at golfers with different body types, swings, and training habits.
- Greg shares his view on motor learning and a new way to think about good and bad things you do in the swing.
- Greg uses the analogy of “books on a bookshelf” that really sheds some light on why old habits creep back in.
- Pain. We discuss what pain does to the body, but even more so, how it then affects you as an athlete/human moving forward. What compensations are you making from that old injury and what repercussions does it have?
- Greg also gives us a couple ideas as to how we can self diagnose to see if we have an issue that needs some attention.
- We dive into the World Golf Fitness Summit (WGFS) and it’s origins. Greg even highlights some of the speakers for the upcoming summit in October 2016.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
His daughter at Augusta
What are you excited about in your near future?
The World Golf Fitness Summit and expanding into new countries.
Where to Find Greg Rose and TPI:
Other Links Mentioned
SuperSpeed Golf (use code “18STRONG“)
Orange Whip Trainer (use code “18STRONG“)
RAD Roller (use code “18STRONG“)
Having Trouble Leaving a review from your iPhone or desktop?
CLICK HERE to see how on your iPhone!