Today I am especially excited to bring on our very special guest, James Sieckmann.
James Sieckmann has been deemed the “Master of the Modern Short Game.” He is held in the highest regard among his peers, and golfers at the highest level. , and recognized by GOLF Magazine and Golf Digest as a Top Teacher in America. This accolade extends to his peers through Gold Digest – as he is considered the 16th Best Teacher, but 1st among all short game coaches. Currently, he is the Short Game Coach to 13 fully exempt Tour players including Charley Hoffman, I.K. Kim, Smylie Kaufman, Ben Crane and Tom Pernice.
He has shared his unique coaching with other teachers around the world including Golf Education Asia, The World Golf Fitness Summit, PGA Sweden, PGA Spain and the Federation de Golf Columbia.
James Sieckmann’s Background
- Director of Instruction at The Golf Academy at Shadow Ridge Country Club in Omaha, Nebraska.
- A nine-time recipient of the Nebraska PGA Section Teacher of the year
- Recognized by GOLF Magazine as a Top 100 Teacher in America
- Golf Digest 16th Best Teacher in America, but 1st among all short game coaches
- Author of
- Your Short Game Solution: Mastering The Finesse Game from 120 Yards and In
- Your Putting Solution: A Tour Proven Approach to Mastering the Greens.
- He is the current Short Game Coach to Tour players including I.K. Kim, Smylie Kaufman, Ben Crane and Tom Pernice.
Highlights from this Episode
- He initially talks about how he played professional golf for 5 years and how he worked with improper information to improve his skill.
- After caddying for his older brother, he started videoing all these great players because he wanted to understand what they were doing. Some of these players included greats like Seve Ballesteros, Greg Norman, etc.
- James shares 3 pivotal components that he learned about the short game that were completely opposite of what he had initially been taught.
- He breaks down the process that he teaches his players to learn from their mistakes and be more intelligent about taking in the feedback from their practice.
- Mechanics on how to set up for a finesse shot, which is what propels you how to hit well. He talks about how set-up is critical.
- Post shot routine and why it’s important.
- James stresses that you have to “let the ball be your teacher.” Learn from your failures.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What would be your walk-up song?
Low Rider – War
If you could play 18 holes with anyone, who would it be and where would you play?
Bobby Jones, Seve Ballesteros, and his older brother Tom at Cyprus.
Do you have any parting advice for the 18 Strong Community?
If you’re competitive, go out with a smart approach. If you’re not, go have some fun.
Find James Sieckmann:
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!