I’m not sure there is a more recognizable face in the world of golf fitness than Joey D (his full last name is Diovisalvi, but we all know him as Coach “Joey D”). You’ve probably seen him on the golf channel, in Golf Digest, and depending on how long you’ve been a golf fan, you might even recognize him from his days on the bag (caddying, that is) with Vijay Singh, when we was on a winning train in the early 2000’s.
Joey is known for his personality and for building champions, including this year’s US Open winner Dustin Johnson, and many more! Along with his A-list of professional clients, Joey works with golfers of all ages on building a better golf body in his incredible facility in Jupiter Florida (I’ve included some pics below).
In this episode of the podcast, we talk about several different topics relating to making you a better golfer. Just in this short interview, you’ll get a feel for Joey’s passion in what he does with his players, but also what he’s trying to do to help golfers around the work make better decisions when it comes to their golf and fitness.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Joey D’s Background
- Coach “Joey D” Diovisalvi’s work in the world of professional golf has contributed to over 30 professional victories and countless top ten finishes.
- His work in the field of golf biomechanics helped Vijay Singh rewrite the record books in 2004 and produce the single greatest winning season in golf history: 9 tournament wins; 18 top ten finishes; over $10 million in prize money; and the Number One spot in the Official World Golf Rankings.
- Joey’s resume includes work on the men’s tour with Vijay Singh, Fredrik Jacobson, Rickie Fowler, Keegan Bradley, Richard S. Johnson, Steve Marino, Pat Perez, Jesper Parnevik, Corey Pavin, Charlie Wi, Chris DiMarco, Cameron Tringale, Jason Dufner, Chez Reavie, Ryuji Imada, Tom Pernice, Jr., Brad Faxon and Tommy Armour, III. On the women’s tour, he’s worked with Sophie Gustafson, Alison Walshe, Belen Mozo, and Meaghan Francella.
Highlights from this Episode
- Joey shares his story on how he got into the world of golf and fitness, as well as his introduction to Vijay Singh which led to several years of tournament win after win.
- We discuss the brain and body connection involved in training and in relation to the golf swing.
- Joey shares how visualization is a major component in success for the golfer and how the connection between the mind and what the body is doing can significantly be improved when visualization and golf specific drills are incorporated into training.
- Joey D walks us through some self evaluation tests that you can do on yourself at home
- Weight transfer
- Squat and reach
- Rotation with your butt in the wall
- Standing 90 degree shoulder rotation test
- We talk about being on the road working with the players
- Joey shares with us “one thing that we don’t know about Dustin Johnson”!
- We discuss supplementation and some of the products that Amino Vital has for golfers and why Joey has chosen to represent them as a brand
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
Jack Nicklaus at Augusta
What are you excited about in your near future?
Working with the everyday golfers (not just the pros) at his academy in Jupiter, Florida.
Where to Find Joey D:
Facebook: Joey D Performance Center and Joey D
YouTube: Joey D Golf
Other Links Mentioned
SuperSpeed Golf: The most effective swing speed tool on the market!
Having Trouble Leaving a review from your iPhone or desktop?
CLICK HERE to see how on your iPhone!