The Mind Pump Podcast has been described as “Howard Stern meets Fitness” a reputation that stems from being raw, shocking, and entertaining, but with an overall mission to shed light on the truth of health, fitness, and a host of other topics. Our guest this week is Justin Andrews, one of the hosts and founders of the this brand that is taking the fitness world by storm.
Mind Pump Media has built a massive tribe of loyal and passionate fans because they are simply helping us all cut through the BS and experience the absolute fastest way to reach your health and fitness goals (which sounds a lot like what we are all about here at 18Strong!) We talk origin story to athletic programming in this exclusive interview.
- Justin’s background stems from the personal training industry, initially working in the larger commercial setting and eventually working more into individualized programming for a smaller number of clients to give him more time to focus on building an online platform.
- Justin has an incredible passion to disrupt the personal training industry and create groundbreaking programs and tools that fitness professionals and clients alike can benefit from.
- He believes the fitness industry in general needs a massive face-lift to speak more to the generation growing up with a more advanced technology toolkit. Justin’s approach is to create programs that utilize technology as it advances and cut through the millions of options people face every day when seeking specific information relating to their fitness needs.
- Justin feels that the great thing about where we are today is how easy it is to access information. The bad part about accessing all this information is how much misinformation is out there to weed through. As a health and fitness professional with a proven track record, Justin Andrews will keep working tirelessly to keep people educated and connected to quality personal trainers long into the future.
Highlights from this Episode
- Justin kicks off the episode by talking about the origin story of Mind Pump from his perspective and how the four guys came together to create the sensation that exploded into what it is today. He also touches on the show’s mission and it’s layout.
- We talk athletic programming (specifically for us golfers,) and big mistakes he sees your average golfer make when coming up with their personal program regiment at the gym. Justin talks on prerequisites he looks for when he has an athlete into gauge where there are and where they should go when it comes to their fitness.
- What Priming is and both how it differs from your regular warm up and its benefits to your workout routine. Priming is very direct and focused on it’s intent in terms of movement and brain/muscle communication while warming up is very generic vague like calisthenics.
- Information Overload: When you have so much information on what health and fitness should look like, it is easy to be overwhelmed and feel like everything you think you know is now wrong and you have to start over. Justin talks about how they handle dissecting the mass amounts of data they come across.
- Justin shares some of the biggest challenges, surprises and rewards he has experienced over the past few years while building their business
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore? Caddy Shack
What would be your walk-up song? Back in Black or Hells Bells by AC/DC
18 holes with anyone, who would it be and where would you play? Bill Murray or John Daley at Pebble Beach
Videos from Mind Pump:
Find out more and Follow Justin Andrews and Mind Pump on:
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!