Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Justin James. Justin is the Long Drive World Champion 2017.In 2015, Justin James hung up his baseball spikes and picked up the driver. After growing up watching his dad, Gerry, compete in long drive, Justin decided to follow in his dad’s footsteps. In his rookie season, he finished T-3 at the 2016 World Long Drive Championship.
In 2015, Justin James hung up his baseball spikes and picked up the driver. After growing up watching his dad, Gerry, compete in long drive, Justin decided to follow in his dad’s footsteps. In his rookie season, he finished T-3 at the 2016 World Long Drive Championship.
In 2017, Justin won three events including the biggest of them all – the Volvik World Long Drive Championship. Justin cemented his spot as #1 in the world with a 435-yard walk-off winner. The longest winning drive ever.
In addition to performing and speaking at corporate and charity golf events across the country, Justin is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist who consults some of North Florida’s top golfers.
Justin James’ Background
- Justin graduated from Trinity Baptist College with a B.S. and M.A. in the Bible, and served as the College’s Head Golf Coach for two seasons before turning professional in 2016.
- He played baseball in the MLB with the Toronto Blue Jays, among others.
- Justin’s approach: Athletes should develop the absolute simplest program that meets the physical demands of their
Highlights from this Episode
- The differences between driving in golf, and the Long Drive competition. We talk about regulations, equipment, body type, ball speed and other nuances between the two subsections of the sport.
- How Justin made the transition from baseball to golf, and eventually became TPI certified and a strength and conditioning coach for some of Florida’s top golfers.
- The importance of speed in golf – not just long drive. Justin believes speed development should be a golfer’s number one priority when training from a strength and conditioning standpoint.
- How Justin approaches training for speed. We get into the exact movements and exercises that Justin views as the most important if you want to improve your drive.
- We talk about the longest drive Justin has hit – it was a big one (listen in to hear how long). We also touch on if any of the PGA Tour players would have a chance in the Long Drive competition.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What would be your “walk-up song” to the tee?
Who would you want to spend a day on the course with, and where?
Parting words of advice?
Take your workout and ask yourself why you’re doing what you’re doing.
Where to find Justin James:
Facebook: Justin James Professional Golfer
To continue the conversation and ask any questions you may have, head over the 18STRONG Facebook page.
Connect with 18STRONG
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!