Kirk Adams has more than 15 years of experience working with collegiate, professional, and Olympic athletes in more than 30 men’s and women’s sports. He works with a number of professional golfers on the Web.com and eGolf Tours and he joins us today to talk about how to “winterize” your body for a better golf game this year.
Kirk Adam’s Background
- He holds a Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree in Kinesiology from Penn State University, and is a Titleist Performance Institute Certified Golf Fitness Instructor, a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist through the National Strength and Conditioning Association, and a Youth Fitness Specialist through the International Youth Conditioning Association.
- Adams was the Head Olympic Sports Strength & Conditioning Coach at Penn State from 2005-2013, where his teams won more than 20 Big Ten Championships and four National Championships.
- He also was responsible for the physical development of the men’s and women’s golf teams. In 2011, Adams founded Nittany Golf Fitness in State College, Pennsylvania, where he brought Tour-quality training to recreational golfers of all ages and abilities.
Highlights from this Episode
- He reflects on what led him to Golf and Body Fitness in NYC and the awesome facility they have there; from the tech to the specs.
- Kirk goes into both how we can improve our golf game in the down season, how we can look at this time off as a good way to check in with your overall health, and the top things the golfers neglect that can cause a rocky start when you pick up the clubs again.
- We talk Strength vs. Endurance vs. Power: What factors play into each and how to use those to help tailor your workout and your golf game. Kirk talks about how inactivity can be part of our daily routine from sitting in the car to sitting at work, so an important aspect of the workout is doing something fast.
- Kirk explains how he uses and why he loves kettle bells when programming for his golfers, including when he uses certain lifts and how he how he fits them into his training sessions to get the most out of the client depending on their level of skill.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What would be your walk up song?
Walk by Pantera
If you could play 18 holes with anyone, who would it be and where would you play?
My dad at Augusta
What are you excited for in the upcoming year?
We have a lot of new programs we are talking about implementing at Golf and Body from Yoga, Pilates, to Meal Delivery.
Do you have any parting advice for the 18 Strong Community?
Keep a good community to help push you to reaching your goals and don’t be afraid to take that next big leap.
Find Kirk Adams:
Connect with 18STRONG
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!