Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Michael Breed. Michael is one of the biggest personalities in the world of golf today! Between his primetime show on the Golf Channel (The Golf Fix), and his Sirius XM PGA Tour Radio show (A New Breed of Golf), Michael is one of the most influential instructors in the world, helping millions of people with their game.
Being that this is Masters week, I asked Michael to share some of his memories from his days as an Assitant Pro at Augusta National and his time working at the Masters Tournament. Along with his stories, Michael shares some incredible advice on how he got to where he is and how others listening to the show can do the same with a few simple principles that he has employed over his lifetime in golf.
Michael Breed’s Background
- In 2008, Breed became the host for The Golf Fix, an instructional television show aimed at fixing the common errors in both course management and swings from amateurs, which continues to be one of the most popular shows on the Golf Channel.
- Michael also hosts a radio show on Sirius XM PGA Tour Radio called A New Breed of Golfers.
- In 2003, he was selected as a Top 100 Instructor in America by Golf Magazine.
- In 2011, he was voted one of the Top 50 Instructors in America by Golf Digest (now 13th on this list, and #1 in the state of New York.).
- In 2012, Michael was chosen as the PGA’s National Teacher of the Year.
- He has also been a part of the broadcast team for Golf Channel’s coverage of the Nationwide Tour and PGA Tour serving as an on course commentator, since 1999, and serves as the analyst for PGA.com in its coverage of the PGA Championship, PGA Professional National Championship, and the Ryder Cup.
- Michael teaches at the Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point
Highlights from this Episode
- Michael’s background, and how he originally got started in the world of golf, and eventually teaching.
- We talk about the most influential people in Michael’s career, in regards to golf, teaching, media, and otherwise. Michael views every situation as a learning opportunity.
- Michael’s take on ‘thinking’ and how it plays into golf. He believes that Tiger Woods was one of the greatest golfers to ever live, because he thought well.
- A few of Michael’s favorite memories from working at the US Masters during tournament time.
- We talk about some of Michael’s favorites and long shots for the upcoming tournament at Augusta National. There are some common picks, and some outsiders who Michael thinks have a chance of doing well.
- How Michael handles criticism and negative feedback.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with, and where?
My father at Augusta National
What would be your “walk-up song” to the tee?
Bruce Springsteen – She’s the One
Luther Vandros – She Loves Me Back
What has you most excited moving into 2017?
The fact that rounds of golf across the country are up 5%, and in the south, rounds are up 15%. People are playing more golf!
Where to find Michael Breed:
Get a copy of Jeff’s Best-Selling Book: “The Golfer’s Guide to a Bogey Proof Workout”
Get your very own 18STRONG t-shirt
Check out the 18STRONG Complete At Home Warm-Up Video and Cheat Sheet
Check out the 18STRONG Flexibility Guide
Check out the 18STRONG e-Book and Video Series: 5 Yards in Less Than 5 Minutes
Connect with 18STRONG
18STRONG’s Facebook Page
18STRONG’s Twitter Profile
18STRONG’s Instagram Profile
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!