In today’s episode, Mike Subach joins us to share his experience in the world of performance. Mike specifically sheds some light on how much stress can impact our ability to heal, rest, move, and especially perform!
Aside from working with many individuals and athletes on their performance and correcting their limitations, Mike also recently went through an injury/surgery of his own which gave him first hand experience on the challenges of regaining proper movement, control and strength.
In this episode, we cover many topics, much of which revolves around how we can overcome some of the daily stresses and postures in our lives and why that is so important when it comes to our golf game.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Highlights from this Episode
- Mike shares his background and how he got into the training business after spending some time in the world of “big pharma”
- Mike shares an incredible story about having emergency surgery for a burst appendix and what he has been going through the past couple of months with his own rehab.
- Mike works with lots of athletes, but he explains why his philosophy ALWAYS progresses per the following. . .
- Make the person better at . . .
- Being a Human
- Being an Athlete
- Their specific sport
- We discuss some of the technical pieces that Mike looks at from Day 1 with his clients that many people never think of, including Resting Metabolic Rate, VO2 Max, and Respiratory Exchange Rate, and why they are so important.
- Mike explains stress in relation to fight or flight like I’ve never heard it before, and why stress could absolutely be sabotaging your fitness and performance goals (but it can also be a very beneficial thing for performance when controlled properly!)
- We also discuss some of the typical bad patterns and compensations that many of us fall into and how to address them
- We talk about the brain, central nervous system, and how important daily habits and routines are for creating long lasting changes
- Cardio is such a misunderstood piece, Mike breaks down some reasons why you would want to do different types of cardio and what he specifically likes to do with his golfers
- “Build better physical economy”- Mike explains how having better movement patterns and control is much more economical when it comes to oxygen expenditure and overall performance.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
One or 2 of the Most Influential People, Books, or Experiences in Your Life?
His college guidance counselor
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with? And what course?
Mike wants a rematch with his Dad on the Radisson course in Syracuse, NY
What are you most excited about/What’s your mission?
Mike is very excited about being able to slow down in his personal and professional life. After his injury, he has enjoyed having to take a step back and get back to the basics, while also laying a little bit low regarding training.
Where to Find Mike Subach:
Facebook: Mike Subach
Other Links Mentioned
Ali Gilbert on the 18STRONG Podcast (episode 008)
Having Trouble Leaving a review from your iPhone or desktop?
CLICK HERE to see how on your iPhone!
CLICK HERE to see how on your desktop!