Diet and nutrition info is running rampant online. It’s hard to know where to begin when you are looking to clean up the diet and get on the right track. So in this episode, I am going to break down the exact guidelines that we use with our clients and athletes.
I’m gonna warn you they are pretty simple and common-sense based, so if you’re looking for a magic wand or super secret trick, this episode doesn’t have it. The nutrition guidelines are something I learned from Dr. John Berardi over at Precision Nutrition and have basically been following ever since I first saw them.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Highlights from this Episode
I have come to find that people usually struggle with their nutrition for 5 main reasons:
- They don’t have enough information
- They have too much information and are paralyzed by information overload
- They have BAD information that leads them down the wrong path
- They know what they need to do, but just aren’t willing to commit to it
- They just plain don’t care!
I tell the story of a time a few years back when life got hectic, I let my diet and workouts slide, and I got FAT! But once I opened my eyes and realized how much I had let myself slip, I drew the line in the sand and committed to my diet and workouts hard-core, dropping over 11% bodyfat and adding quite a bit of muscle mass in less that 3 months. In this episode, I share the primary principles that I used during that time (and since then) with my diet.
I found that there were 3 main components that allowed me to succeed in this:
- The 10 nutrition guidelines I am going to share
- A solid plan for my workouts (4-5 days/week, lots of weights, very little cardio!)
- An Accountability partner/coach
The 10 Nutrition Guidelines
These guidelines were originally taken from www.PrecisionNutrition.com (a great resource for anything related to nutrition)
- EAT OFTEN, every 2-3 hours
- Eat complete, lean PROTEIN at every “eating opportunity”
- Eat VEGETABLES at every “eating opportunity”
- Earn your CARBS
- Include HEALTHY FATS in your diet
- Drink water, coffee, or green tea
- Eat as many WHOLE FOODS as possible
- Plan on CHEATING!
- Create the HABIT of PREPARATION
- SUPPLEMENT appropriately (I recommend seeking out a professional)
Food Prep Examples/Experts:
Other Episodes Mentioned:
Robert Yang– “Secrets to optimizing performance through Hydration and Nutrition”
Shawn Stevenson– “Sleep is the Secret Sauce”
Dr. Mark Smith– “High Intensity Training | Paleo for Golfers | Cardiovascular Health
Having Trouble Leaving a review from your iPhone or desktop?
CLICK HERE to see how on your iPhone!
CLICK HERE to see how on your desktop!