Jim Hackenberg, the creator of the Orange Whip Trainer join’s us in this episode to give us the story behind his invention which has been named the #1 Golf Product in the world.
If you haven’t seen or heard about the Orange Whip Trainer, frankly, you must have been living under a rock. These things are everywhere, including in over 400 professional golfers bags across the globe.
In today’s episode, Jim shares how he came up with the idea for the Orange Whip, where the name came from, and how to use it.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Jim Hackenberg and the Orange Whip’s Background
- Jim grew up in North Dakota, but didn’t start playing golf until the age of 12 or 13.
- Once he started playing he was hooked.
- Jim played at Arizona State for a couple of years (at the same time as ole “Lefty,” Phil Mickelson) before finishing his college career at Oregon State.
- He played on the mini tours for quite a few years before going into teaching.
- While he was teaching, he was asked to caddy for a friend on the PGA, which is when the idea for the Orange Whip came to him.
Highlights from this Episode
- Jim tells us about the revelation he had about the golf swing and teaching his clients, and how this lead to the creation of the orange whip.
- After many tweaks and changes to the prototype, he finally figured out the right look and feel, and the Orange Whip was born.
- Jim and I discuss the importance of rhythm, tempo and balance in a golf swing.
- Jim walks us through his 3 main drills for the Orange Whip:
- Torso Twist
- Hinging Forearm Rotation Drill
- Full swing Drill
- Jim has learned quite a few new drills from other teachers that use the Orange Whip (including using the trainer as a high intensity or cardio alternative, you can see our video below . . .)
- Jim reveals where the name REALLY came from (HINT: it’s an 80’s movie with 2 guys in Black hats, Suits, and sunglasses. . .)
- We talk about all of the professional players that are using this tool and why it has become such a “Must Have” item.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
Ernest Jones: developed the ball on the end of a chain philosophy for golf
How to get an Orange Whip?
Just go to this link “I want a Whip” and you will get the 18STRONG discount.
**(If you do not see the discount at checkout, use the code “18STRONG“)**
What are you excited about in your near future?
Coming out with a new Orange Whip Putter
Where to Find Jim Hackenberg
Facebook: Orange Whip Trainer