What does it take to make your workouts and golf game 18STRONG? Join us as Tim Mickelson, head coach of the ASU Sun Devils Golf Team shares his expertise in the world of college golf. Tim gives us an in inside look at what he’s looking for in a recruit and walks us through the weekly schedule of their program.
Over the past 4 years, Tim and his team have jumped the ranks in the college golf scene and are primed to be one of the top teams in the nation this year. With such success, Tim is able to enlighten us with some of his suggestions for you to be most efficient when practicing in order to play your best golf.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Tim Mickelson’s Background
- Tim Grew up in California and is 7 years younger than his brother Phil Mickelson
- Like Phil, Tim played for ASU, winning a national championship, then went to Oregon State to finish his college career
- He played mini tour golf for a brief period, making it to the 2nd stage of Q-School
- He took a position at San Diego State, then became the Head coach at USD (University of San Diego)
- After 8 years at USD, he was named the head coach at ASU
- In his soon to be 5th year, Tim has taken the team from being ranked #85 to as high as #2 last year, and looking forward to a very promising year ahead.
Highlights from this Episode
- Tim shares his background as a player, a coach, and what it was like growing up in the Mickelson household
- We discuss what it takes for a kid to even be looked at as a recruit for a program like ASU
- Tim highlights the on and of course characteristics that they look for in the young men they recruit
- Fitness has become such a big part of the game these days. The team does golf specific workouts very regularly to keep them in shape and prepared for the season.
- With such an individualized sport, it’s hard to keep a team atmosphere, but Tim looks at himself much like a baseball manager.
- It’s not his role to work on a kid’s swing, but more his job to find out where his weaknesses are in his game, so he can practice more efficiently
- Tim walks us through their practice schedule and what the life of the young golfer looks like at this level
- He relates what they do to you and your game. He expresses several ways to make your practie more efficient
- Tim shares a great story about him and Phil
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Tim’s Favorite Memory of Beating His Brother Phil on the Course:
Playing a round at the Grand in San Diego, he was -10 after 12 holes. He was beating Phil and Phil currently had the course record at -9. Although he beat him that day, Phil was still able to get in Tim’s head on the back nine, and Tim finished with a -8, two shots shy of beating Phil’s record.
What are you excited about in your near future?
ASU has a pretty stellar line-up going into the 2015-2016 year. They have 3 players that averaged less than 70 strokes in competitive rounds last year, which is pretty amazing.
Where to Find Tim Mickelson and his ASU Sun Devils:
Tim’s Biography on the ASU website
- Follow Tim:@goodwalkspoiled
- Follow the Team: @asumensgolf
- ASU Men’s Golf Team: Sun Devil Men’s Golf
Other Mentions from this Episode:
Dr. Jay Brunza: Mental coach working with the Sun Devils (Formerly worked with Tiger Woods)
Jimmy Yuan: Episode 053