Tyler Ferrell, named one of Golf Digest Top Golf Fitness Professionals 2018, Best Instructors in Texas 2018, and Best Young Teachers 2017, is a leading expert in the application of 3D motion biomechanics. His background as both an instructor and a trainer give him a unique ability to communicate how the body works in the golf swing. He joins us today to give us a glimpse into his recent book The Stock Tour Swing: Use Science to Uncover Your Version of the Tour Swing.
In his book, Tyler breaks down 3D research and his experiences in coaching that have identified the major differences between the swing of elite golfers compared to the amateur golfer. With this knowledge, Tyler has created a system to help you “decode” your swing.
- Tyler graduated Summa Cum Laude from Towson University with a degree in Marketing and E-Business where he played two years of collegiate golf.
- Tyler had the privilege of learning from some of the most recognized names in golf fitness and golf biomechanics. Two of his main influences were Dr. Greg Rose and Janet Alexander. He is currently studying the work of Dr. Guy Voyer, a world leader on how the fascial system influences movement.
- He is also a trainer of other golf coaches through seminars and programs. He has given lectures in a number of PGA Sections as well as a 2-day training program for the Danish National Team coaching staff. In 2016 he presented at the World Golf Fitness Summit, presented by the Titleist Performance Institute.
- Prior to the book, Tyler created Golf Smart Academy, a website for do-it-yourself golfers and coaches to find answers to their most difficult questions related to golf. At current, Golf Smart Academy has over 750 videos helping golfers all over the world understand how to apply the latest golf science to their game.
Highlights from this Episode
- How his career has evolved from being a Division 1 Golfer, getting into the fitness side of training, and eventually the Director of Instruction at La Rinconada in San Jose.
- How his neck/shoulder injury, and the healing of which led to the inspiration for the writing of his book “Stock Tour Swing.” We dive into different pieces and aspects of the book and what it means to develop your own Tour Swing. He also talks about “Decoding your swing” and choosing the best swing for your situation.
- The difference between what we feel in our swing and what we are actually doing in our swing and the importance of that awareness. He also goes into a quick synopsis of the ELDOA Program and its influence on his teaching technique.
- Feller’s two big things the amateur player should focus on to see improvement in their swing and understanding the way their body moves.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What would be your walk up song?
The Piano Guy’s cover of Coldplay’s “Paradise”
If you could play 18 holes with anyone, who would it be and where would you play?
Ben Hogan at Agusta
What are you excited for in the upcoming year?
Building on momentum from the previous year and to keep learning and improving on my teaching.
Where to Find Tyler Ferrell
Website: Golf Smart Academy
Connect with 18STRONG
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!