Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Henry Boulton. Henry is one of the creators and designers of FocusBand – a wearable brain training headband that measures your brain activity.
Usually, the starting point for training has been technique. You start with technique, work on fitness and then finish with mind training. Henry takes the point of view, though, that you should be training the mind first. Get your mind right, and everything will get better together.
In this interview, we talk about how Henry developed the FocusBand with his father Graham, and how it is helping golfers play better golf.
Henry Boulton’s Background
- Henry has developed 3D bio-mechanical training systems, and is an electronics engineer and entrepreneur.
- He is the Director of Golf at SwingLab
- Henry is a TPI Fitness Instructor Level 1 (Titleist Performance Institute) Since 2007
Highlights from this Episode
- How Henry got the idea for FocusBand, and how it helps golfers to change the way their mind works in regards to golf. FocusBand is very much related to the work Henry did as an electronics engineer.
- We talk about the difference in ‘frequency’ that the left and right parts of the brain operate in. We discuss why each part is important in different ways, and how to switch from one to the other when it’s appropriate to do so.
- The routine Henry goes through with golfer’s he trains when they step up to the tee. It all starts with the mind.
- The importance of mindfulness and present state awareness. We talk about a few specific techniques, such as breathing, that anyone can do to make themselves more present and mindful.
- How to use things like mindfulness to help acquire new skills.
- The best way for people to access a FocusBand, and where they can go to learn how to use it most effectively. The website has in-depth training on the product to ensure people get the most out of it.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with, and where?
Peter Rolston at Augusta
What is your mission for FocusBand moving forward into 2017?
Working on the Blueprint app for FocusBand, which will really help users get the most out of the product. Also, GPS brain tracking, which tracks players as they walk around the golf course to see what their state of mind is.
Where to find Henry Boulton:
Get a copy of Jeff’s Best-Selling Book: “The Golfer’s Guide to a Bogey Proof Workout”
Get your very own 18STRONG t-shirt
Check out the 18STRONG Complete At Home Warm-Up Video and Cheat Sheet
Check out the 18STRONG Flexibility Guide
Check out the 18STRONG e-Book and Video Series: 5 Yards in Less Than 5 Minutes
Connect with 18STRONG
18STRONG’s Facebook Page
18STRONG’s Twitter Profile
18STRONG’s Instagram Profile
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!