Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Jason Connery. Jason is the director of the golf film, Tommy’s Honour – a 2016 historical drama film depicting the lives and careers of the pioneering Scottish golfing champions Old Tom Morris and his son Young Tommy Morris.
Jason Connery has appeared in over 30 films, television movies and series, since his breakthrough role as “Robin Hood” in the UK television series Robin Hood in 1985.
He is the son of Sean Connery, and a big fan of the game of golf.
Jason Connery’s Background
- Jason grew up in London and Scotland.
- He received a half-scholarship for swimming and held the under-16 freestyle record for the south of England.
- Jason’s interest in acting developed while studying at the Gordonstoun School for Boys in the north of Scotland.
- He credits his mother and father for his drive and his ability to survive and persevere in an unpredictable business.
- After achieving success as an actor for two decades, Connery is working behind the cameras with his recently formed production company, “Unconditional Entertainment”.
Highlights from this Episode
- We talk about what drew Jason to making the film about Tom Morris. He originally knew a little about the Morris’, but didn’t know the full extent of the story. Over the course of a year he came to learn a lot about the two and their passion for the game of golf. Jason is very passionate about film and golf, so the making of this film seemed like a logical step.
- We also get into some of the challenges that come with making films, and in particular this film. He was repeatedly told that ‘golf’ films had great difficulty in being successful, and had to overcome a lot of negative perceptions of the script.
- How Jason and the crew navigated the weather, being that they filmed in Scotland which is notorious for bad weather. They were incredibly lucky and only had one morning of filming where it was raining.
- We talk about the background of old Tom and young Tommy Morris, and the impact they had on the game of golf.
- Jason still enjoys getting out and playing a round of golf, and we discuss how his golf game is and where he likes to play.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What would be your “walk-up song” to the tee?
I’d prefer complete silence!
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with, and where?
Old Tom and Young Tommy Morris at St. Andrews (Big surprise there 😉 )
Where to find Jason Connery and “Tommy’s Honour”:
PGA Tour Mobile App: Find the version you need HERE! (iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows, Blackberry)
RAD Roller: RADroller.com
Get a copy of Jeff’s Best-Selling Book: “The Golfer’s Guide to a Bogey Proof Workout”
Get your very own 18STRONG t-shirt
Check out the 18STRONG Complete At Home Warm-Up Video and Cheat Sheet
Check out the 18STRONG Flexibility Guide
Check out the 18STRONG e-Book and Video Series: 5 Yards in Less Than 5 Minutes
Connect with 18STRONG
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!