Trillium Rose, Head of Instruction at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, MD and motor learning specialist joins us in this episode to share her experience in the world of golf, and especially in helping golfers improve through the use of practicing better and smarter.
As a golf instructor, Trillium soon realized that most golf instructors taught the “WHAT” to do, but the real issue is not the “WHAT,” but the “HOW.” And after years of working with students, she decided to challenge herself by going back to school, The Teachers College at Columbia University, to dig into the reasoning and true science behind how we learn.
The combination of her experience as a golf instructor and her studies in motor learning have made Trillium one of the most respected golf instructors in the world, and is one of the “go to” people when it comes to the discussion of skill acquisition and creating effective practice.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Trillium Rose’s Background
- Head Director of Instruction at Woodmont Country Club in Rockville, Maryland
- Graduate of Teachers College, Columbia University with a master’s degree in Motor Learning and Control
- Formal education in the science behind how people acquire and adapt skills
- Her area of expertise is in designing and implementing curriculums specifically with targeted practice plans.
- Recognized as one of “America’s Best Young Teachers” by Golf Digest (2012-2015) followed by a “Best Teacher in State” by Golf Digest (2013-2015).
- She has been honored with a distinction as a US Kids Master Teacher (2013) and US Kids Top 50 Teacher (2009, 2010, 2012).
Highlights from this Episode
- Trillium walks us through her story and her tim spent with Jim McLean and the many lessons learned from him.
- She discusses her shift from teaching golfers WHAT to do, to when she started to realize that she needed to teach them HOW to do it.
- Trill talks a bit about being a woman in what is still a very man dominated profession and industry, which has some part in her decision to go back to school and study motor learning
- We talk about many different situations of practice, especially why it’s so hard to take what you’re doing on the range over to the course.
- So much of our retention has to do with replicating a true round of golf as possible.
- The more you can make your practice have some sort of pressure, like using games, or keeping stats, etc the more realistic you can make it to a round of golf.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
One or 2 of the Most Influential People, Books, or Experiences in Your Life?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
What are you excited about in your near future?
She is coming out with a Top Secret tool for golfers that she can’t share just yet, but it is going to be something that will help you before you even get to the lesson tee.
Where to Find Trillium Rose:
Facebook: Trillium Rose
Other Links Mentioned
Having Trouble Leaving a review from your iPhone or desktop?
CLICK HERE to see how on your iPhone!
CLICK HERE to see how on your desktop!