Pia Nilsson and Lynn Marriott of VISION54 join me in this weeks episode to help us sort through our emotions on the course and figure out how to get the ball in the hole in the fewest amount of shots.
It is their mission to help every golfer they work with realize their highest potential on the course. While most golf instruction focuses on technique and the physical pieces of the golf swing, VISION54 emphasizes that there are more pieces to the puzzle, including the mental, emotional, social and even spiritual components.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
The Background of VISION54
- Lynn Marriott and Pia Nilsson are both featured among the top-50 lists for Golf Digest magazine’s best teachers, and listed on GOLF Magazine’s Top 100 Teachers.
- Pia was Annika Sorenstam’s instructor for her entire professional career.
- Other notable names that work with VISION54:
- Kevin Streelman
- Russell Knox
- Na Yeon Choi
- Ai Miyazato
- Golf Digest ranked them in 2012 as the #1 and #2 women teachers in America.
- In 2005, GOLF Magazine named VISION54’s flagship program, 54GOLF, the number one golf school in the U.S. They have have coached players to more than one hundred tour victories on the PGA Tour, LPGA Tour, European Tour and Ladies European Tour; including six major LPGA Tour winners.
- They also have co-authored a number of books, including the best-selling Every Shot Must Have a Purpose, The Game Before The Game, and Play Your Best Golf Now.
Highlights from this Episode
- Pia and Lynn tell us the story behind the creation of VISION54 and how it is about more than just golf instruction.
- They are big believers that everything shows up in the technique, including emotion, tension, and frustration
- We discuss the idea of having a “post-shot” routine
- The 6 elements of the game:
- They give actionable drills to work on mastering the concepts of the Think Box and the Play Box
- The 2 practice essentials and how to incorporate them
- To simulate golf
- To integrate skills
- Pia and Lynn give us several ideas for making our practices more effective, but more importantly, how we can control our emotions and reactions on the course
- Visualize playing specific holes when you are on the practice range
- hit different shots while voluntarily changing the amount of tension in your body
- They have mobile apps and games that they like to play and use with their players
- Enjoy the game. A happy golfer is a better golfer!
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Pia: Happy Gilmore
Lynn: Happy Gilmore (although Lynn shares a great story about Bill Murray reading their book!)
They recommend reading the book “Every Shot Must Have a Purpose” to get an understanding of the global concepts of VISION54. Then read “Play Your Best Golf Now” for a more technical and practical way of practicing the essentials of the program.
They also have a couple of apps for your phone to help with your practice sessions that are very helpful.
What are you excited about in your near future?
They are launching their online training program very soon so clients can work with them from anywhere in the world!
They have a new book coming our in the second half of 2016.
Where to Find VISION54