This week I am joined by one of the most highly sought after educators, speakers, and clinical specialists in the world of Movement, rehab and training; Dr. Andreo Spina. As the Founder/Creator of Functional Anatomy Seminars, Dr. Spina speaks all over the world to other medical and fitness practitioners, dispelling the myths of flexibility and challenging the way we think about our bodies and movement.
His system of assessing, treating and training is used by professional sports teams all over the world including some of the teams seen in the image below. In our chat today we discuss some of the myths of flexibility and how the research has shown all along that there are more effective ways to create change, improve movement, and begin to OWN our flexibility, which is how Dr. Spina defines “MOBILITY.”
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Dr. Andreo Spina’s Background
- Dr. Andreo Spina holds a Bachelor of Kinesiology degree from McMaster University.
- He later graduated with summa cum laude and clinic honors from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College as a Doctor of Chiropractic.
- He then completed a two-year post-graduate fellowship in Sports Sciences. He is the creator of the Functional Range Release (FR)® soft tissue management system, the Functional Range Conditioning (FRC)® mobility development system, and the Kinstretch™ method of movement stretching that are currently used by practitioners world wide as well as a number of professional sports organizations, athletes, and performers.
- He is a published author, and international speaker on the topics of joint health, movement and mobility development, sports performance, and injury management.
Highlights from this Episode
- Dr. Spina shares his background, growing up in Toronto
- He has study martial arts form a young age and thus has always been intrigue by movement, control, and strength.
- We discuss when and why the FRC, FR, and Kinstrech courses were developed and how they have grown from their beginning.
- He touches on the what the research really says about flexibility and changing movement in a human body, and why certain modalities have been used incorrectly for so long.
- Dr. Spina defines the term “useless flexibility” and dispels some of the myths of traditional thinking when it comes to stretching and performance.
- What is a “prerequisite of movement” and why is it so important to know before beginning a training program?
- He explains the difference between “flexibility” and “mobility”
- How is our movement preparation like brushing your teeth?
- Dr. Spina goes over some of the common terms/acronyms that you will hear in his seminars, like CARS, RAILS, and PAILS (and why it’s not just a made up language, but simply an easier way to describe a movement or technique based on it’s intention or end result)
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
Where to Find Dr. Andreo Spina:
Facebook: Functional Anatomy Seminars
Other Links Mentioned
Article: Dispelling the Stretching Myths by Dr. Andreo Spina
Certification courses by Functional Anatomy Seminars (FRC, FR, Kinstretch)