Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Andy Johnson. Andy is the founder and editor of online golf blog, the Fried Egg.
After playing competitively on the amateur circuit for years, he found himself working a 9-5 job. His time for golf and keeping up to date with golf news started disappearing quickly.
Andy started the fried egg in December 2015 with the goal of creating an easier way for golf fans to stay up to date with the golf world. The newsletter, sent every Monday, Wednesday and Friday is designed to give you all of the yolk and none of the shell leaving you feeling like a PGA Tour insider in just a couple of minutes.
Andy Johnson Background
- Andy got into golf at the age of 10, after seeing Tiger Woods and Steve Scott play in the final of the US Amateur in 1996.
- From that day on, his Chicago summers were spent at the golf course. He caddied and worked at a few area country clubs and played countless rounds at a local course.
- Andy got good enough to play in high school and ended up playing a year of college golf.
- Andy worked for years in the Chicago tech world, which is how he first got involved with writing. He eventually combined his love for writing and golf in 2015 and started the Fried Egg.
Highlights from this Episode
- How Andy writes – he doesn’t consider himself a ‘natural writer’, and needs to do certain things to get in the zone. We talk about all of the other things that are involved in writing, that need to happen to publish high quality content.
- Andy writes a lot about golf course design and architecture. We talk about what makes a great course, and some of his favorite courses.
- We talk about some resources and ways Andy has found to ‘think’ his way around the golf course, and thinking through what needs to be done in certain situations.
- Some of the coolest experiences Andy has had since starting the Fried Egg. He has made some great connections through writing, such as interviewing Tom Doak – one of the greatest golf course designers to ever live.
- Andy’s take on the Masters, who he is tipping to perform well, and who he thinks will win.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What would be your “walk-up song” to the tee?
The Allman Brothers – Blue Sky
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with, and where?
Ben Crenshaw at National Golf Links of America
What has you most excited moving into 2017?
The fact that Spring is in sight, and redoing our website with new, more in-depth content.
Where to find Andy Johnson:
Get a copy of Jeff’s Best-Selling Book: “The Golfer’s Guide to a Bogey Proof Workout”
Get your very own 18STRONG t-shirt
Check out the 18STRONG Complete At Home Warm-Up Video and Cheat Sheet
Check out the 18STRONG Flexibility Guide
Check out the 18STRONG e-Book and Video Series: 5 Yards in Less Than 5 Minutes
Connect with 18STRONG
18STRONG’s Facebook Page
18STRONG’s Twitter Profile
18STRONG’s Instagram Profile
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!