Happy Holidays, everyone!
Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Brian Chandler. Brian is a trainer at one of the most recognized golf fitness clinics in the US, Anthem Fitness. Anthem Fitness utilizes methods that help clients develop better velocity and control, which aim to ramp up your overall performance.
Brian recently wrote an article for TPI about his work with Ryan Moore this past year, and how he came back from an injury cloud to go on and finish the 2016 season as one of the most dominant players on the PGA Tour. Brian breaks down what they did to fins the weak links in Ryan’s body and how the entire team from fitness, medical, and swing coach all collaborated to to help Ryan overcome a nagging injury and play some incredible golf.
Brian Chandler’s Background
- Brian Chandler is a licensed massage therapist through the National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork.
Current Movement and Performance Coach for UNLV Womens Golf
Certified Strength and Conditioning Coach – NSCA
TPI Level 3 Fitness
Continuing Education includes FRC, PRI, SFMA, FMS, and ART.
- He graduated from Florida Gulf Coast University with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Human Performance.
Highlights from this Episode
- Brian’s background, and how he shifted from coaching the ‘technical’ side of golf, and into the fitness side.
- We talk about Brian’s assessment of Ryan Moore, and the key things he found that were effecting his swing. They realized that his hip and pelvic movement had a big impact on his ankle, which was where his injury was most apparent.
- The approach Brian took to start the rehab process with Ryan, and getting him back on the path to success.
- We get into the things that had the biggest impact in getting Ryan back to his best form, and what others can emulate to help their own fitness and golf game in general. The #1 thing was isometrics.
- What is it about Ryan and other top performers that make them stand out above the rest. At the end of the day, it all comes down to mindset. However, movement also has to be a key focus in order to stay in form year round.
- Brian tells a story about the time he accidentally set his girlfriend’s hair on fire – on their third date!
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
My grandfather at Augusta National
What is your mission moving forward?
Encourage athletes to be more curious, in regards to how well they can perform, and how good they can potentially be.
Where to find Brian Chandler:
Get a copy of Jeff’s Best-Selling Book: “The Golfer’s Guide to a Bogey Proof Workout”
Get your very own 18STRONG t-shirt
Check out the 18STRONG Complete At Home Warm-Up Video and Cheat Sheet
Check out the 18STRONG Flexibility Guide
Check out the 18STRONG e-Book and Video Series: 5 Yards in Less Than 5 Minutes
Connect with 18STRONG
18STRONG’s Facebook Page
18STRONG’s Twitter Profile
18STRONG’s Instagram Profile