Today I am very excited to announce our guest, Kelly Starrett. Kelly is someone I’ve been wanting to have on the show since day one. He is a coach, physical therapist, author, speaker, and founder of Mobility WOD, which has revolutionized how athletes think about human movement and athletic performance.
Kelly’s clients have included Olympic gold-medalists, Tour de France cyclists, world record-holding Olympic Lifting and Power athletes, Crossfit Games medalists, ballet dancers, military personnel, and competitive age-division athletes. He truly is one of the masters in his field.
He has been featured on the Today Show, The Tim Ferriss Show, Men’s Health, Greatist, Breaking Muscle, and much more.
Kelly Starrett’s Background
- Kelly’s background as an athlete and coach includes paddling whitewater slalom canoe on the US Canoe and Kayak Teams, and leading the Men’s Whitewater Rafting Team to two national titles and competition in two World Championships.
- He received his Doctor of Physical Therapy in 2007 from Samuel Merritt College in Oakland, California.
- Before starting his own physical therapy practice at San Francisco CrossFit, one of the first 30 CrossFit affiliates, he practiced performance-based physical therapy at the world-renowned Stone Clinic.
- In his current practice, Kelly continues to focus on performance-based Orthopedic Sports Medicine with an emphasis on returning athletes to elite level sport and performance.
- He has been a guest lecturer at the American Physical Therapy Association annual convention, Google, the Perform Better Summit, the Special Operations Medical Association annual conference, police departments, and elite military groups nationwide.
- Kelly has one of the most viewed YouTube channels in the world of fitness and human performance, Mobility|WOD, which all began when he committed to shooting a video a day for 100 days back in 2010.
Highlights from this Episode
- Kelly’s background, how he got into the world of fitness and mobility, and how he started his world class fitness blog which has been featured in just about every fitness publication there is.
- Some of the biggest issues Kelly sees where people are missing the boat on improving performance as they get older. We talk about how people can improve performance and prevent injury by implementing a proper warm up routine.
- The importance of mobility training for golfers. Given the nature of the speed and power of the golf swing, it is so important that your tissue, joints, muscles etc. are able to handle the load that is constantly running through them.
- The importance of a good night’s sleep. Athletes (and people in general) should be getting at least 7 hours of decent sleep every night to ensure proper performance. A great way to ensure you get a good night’s sleep is to be active throughout the day – walking 10 kilometers per day is a great place to start.
- How people should think about working on their performance (whether in golf or otherwise). It all starts with range of motion. After that, it’s important to think of strength and fitness training as a skill. If you are doing deadlifts, you should be thinking about how you can improve that movement every time you do it (just like you would a golf swing).
- Kelly’s position on using ice for both training and injury treatment. Spoiler: Ice should not be used to treat injuries (see more in episode 114 with Gary Reinl).
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
What has you most excited moving forward into 2017?
We’re changing the format of the MobilityWOD program so I’m looking forward to making that the best it can be.
Where to find Kelly Starrett:
Kelly’s Organization – Stand Up Kids: http://standupkids.org/
Skratch TV: SKRATCHTV.com
SuperSpeed Golf: SuperSpeedGolf.com
Get a copy of the Best-Selling Book: “The Golfer’s Guide to a Bogey Proof Workout”
Get your very own 18STRONG t-shirt
Check out the 18STRONG Complete At Home Warm-Up Video and Cheat Sheet
Check out the 18STRONG Flexibility Guide
Check out the 18STRONG e-Book and Video Series: 5 Yards in Less Than 5 Minutes
Connect with 18STRONG
Facebook Page Twitter Profile Instagram Profile
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!!