Dr. Michael Gervais joins us in this episode to discuss finding mastery in everything that we do, including our golf game. Dr. Gervais is one of the world’s leading experts in psychology when it comes to working with high performance individuals, especially athletes.
Included in his resume is working with Coach Pete Carroll and the Seattle SeaHawks, Red Bull extreme athletes, and corporate execs and teams striving for higher performance. In this episode, he takes us on a journey of exploration of our inner selves and desires. Why do you play golf, and what does dictate for you regarding your goals and results?
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Dr. Michael Gervais’ Background
- California Licensed psychologist specializing in high performance, he works in the trenches of high-stakes environments, where there is no luxury for mistakes, hesitation, or failure to respond.
- He has created a performance model that allows people to achieve their maximum potential, whether on or off the field.
- A published, peer-reviewed author and recognized speaker on human performance issues, Dr. Gervais has been featured by ESPN, CNN, NFL Network, FUELtv, Red Bull TV, Extra, The Huffington Post, GolfersMD, South Bay magazine and others.
- Host of the Finding Mastery Podcast
- Psychologist working witht he Seattle SeaHawks
- Co-Founder of WinForever with Coach Pete Carroll
- Psychologist to multiple extreme athletes, including Red Bull athlete Felix Baugartner, aka. the dude that jumped from outer-space!
Highlights from this Episode
- Dr. Gervais breaks down what he does as a psychologist working with athletes and individuals in high performance situations.
- What are the differences/similarities in working with the extreme athletes compared to working with other athletes and individuals.
- Dr. G talks about what he has learned from the “masters” he has interviewed on his podcast.
- How do we get better at handling disappointments? and how do we train ourselves to be “more comfortable being uncomfortable?”
- Dr. Gervais gives us some practical application for finding mindfulness in our daily lives and how this applies to golf.
- We discuss the “space between hesitation and commitment” and how important that is for performance.
- The Razor’s Edge, what is it and what are the possibilities we face when we are in this scenario
- Dr. G suggests that ultimately you ask yourself “Why” are you playing golf? That should determine goals, outcomes, and daily practices.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
One or 2 of the Most Influential People, Books, or Experiences in Your Life?
Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Coach Carroll- Seattle Seahawks
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
What are you excited about in your near future/ Whats your mission?
“Roots and Reach”
Where to Find Dr. Michael Gervais:
Facebook: Finding Mastery
Other Resources/Links Mentioned
Books: When Buddhists Attack, Learned Optimism, The Art of Learning