Cornel Driessen has worked with the worlds greatest golfers. Literally, the #1 ranked golfers in the world. His list includes Jason Day, Rory McIlroy, Henrik Stenson, Charl Schwartzel, Ian Poulter and others. Not a bad crew, huh?
As a physical therapist and a strength coach, Cornel feels that there really isn’t a distinct line that dictates whether a client is in need of “therapy” or “athletic performance” because in actuality, “movement is therapy.” All of his efforts with his clients/players is basically boils down to making sure they are moving well and preventing injury. While each player has his own specific needs regarding injury prevention and optimizing performance, the foundation is laid in the balance of their movement.
Subscribe to the 18STRONG Podcast on iTunes and stitcher by clicking the button below:
Cornel Driessen’s Background
- Studied physical therapy in undergraduate and gradaute school
- Worked in South Africa in the physical therapy and strength and conditioning fields
- Started his own clinic and began working with some of the best athletes and coaches in all of South Africa
- Started to develop protocols specifically for certain athletes and sports and eventually was introduced to several professional golfers
- Works with some of the greatest palyers in the world, including Jason Day, Charl Schwartzel, Henrik Stenson, Rory McIlroy, Ian Poulter, etc.
Highlights from this Episode
- Cornel shares his background and how he came to work with such an “A-List” group of golfers
- We discuss the importance of analyzing and treating movements when working with his athletes, or any individual for that matter
- A surprise appearance from Jason’s son Dash wanting to hang out with his buddy Cornel (#podbomb)
- Golfers are athletes. . .
- We discuss the backlash in the media around lifting weights and how the guys are training today
- Cornel explains why his players train the way they do and how they progressively build up to lifting weights through a detailed regimen
- His players have to “earn the right to lift”
- We specifically talk about Jason’s career, from his injuries to his successes
- Cornel makes it very clear that there is a tremendous team approach around all of his players and that in order to protect each of them as a player and a brand, it takes high level communication from several individuals that all have the well being of the athlete at the forefront
- We discuss some of the characteristics that Cornel sees in his players that make them so special, such as grit, determination, dedication, etc.
CaddyShack or Happy Gilmore?
One or 2 of the Most Influential People, Books, or Experiences in Your Life?
Several people. Doesn’t want to leave anyone out!
Who would you like to spend a day on the course with?
Tiger and Earl Woods in a practice session before Tiger became Tiger.
What are you excited about in your near future?
Optimizing his guys!
Where to Find Cornel Driessen: