Imagine two golfers…Sam and Dave.
Sam is lean and wiry. He wrestled in high school as a featherweight, is 5’7″ and weighs 135 lbs soaking wet.
Dave is carrying a few extra pounds but has an athletic build. He played football in high school, and currently clocks in at 6’2″, 225.
When you walk up to #1 and see both standing there waiting to tee off, the even money in Vegas is on Dave, the big guy, to drive it a country mile past Sam.
After all, the added weight brings more force to his swing, right?
The reality is usually the opposite. Sam’s agility gives him the ability to generate more speed and maintain better balance.
Agility impacts the “moment of inertia”. Which is just a fancy term about how resistant an object (in this case, Sam) is to rotational movement.
When you shed unnecessary weight, especially around your core, your moment of inertia changes. Which allows for faster, more controlled swings.
But here’s the trick…losing the extra fat without sacrificing muscle or strength – obvious components for distance.
Here’s how to do it:
- Maintain a MODERATE Caloric Deficit – Aim for a deficit of 250-500 daily calories for steady and sustainable fat loss.
- Prioritize Protein – Helps keep you full for longer. And is crucial for muscle repair and growth.
- Strength Training – Weight or resistance training 3-5 times per week helps preserve and/or build muscle (Golfer’s Fat Loss Blueprint training program).
Here’s what not to do:
- Rapid Weight Loss – 99% of the time leads to muscle loss.
- Excessive Cardio – Yes, it burns calories, but also leads to muscle loss while in a caloric deficit.
- Limit Water – Yes, water weighs a lot, but limiting your intake is not fat loss (despite what your scale says). Water supports just about every process in your body.
The point of these principles is to preserve/build muscle and strength while also reducing body fat.
Alright, now you know what you have to do, so let’s get to it!
Your #1 Fan,
PS – Since it’s Friday, we’re running a Happy Hour special…
Jalapeno poppers are 2 for 1, and the Golfer’s Fat Loss Blueprint is only $67, instead of $97 (until Monday).