When it comes down to it, a fitness coach is a dime a dozen right? What do these different specialties matter and why is it so important for a fitness professional to know your game? Does that specialization to your specific sport really make a difference? Whether you are an athlete looking for a strength coach or fitness professionals looking to expand your client base, you are going to have to ask yourself these questions which is why I brought on Trevor Anderson, a fitness trainer, and coach and multi-faceted athlete in a number of sports, to answer these very questions.
Trevor Anderson’s Background
- Trevor Anderson, CSCS (T.A.) is the Owner and Founder of Better Every Day®. He is a renowned Performance Educator and a Multi-Sport Performance Expert.
- Strategically located at Better Every Day® headquarters in Central Florida, Trevor coaches and mentors the youth, and educates teachers and trainers. His experiences as a professional athlete, and as a performance trainer and educator for professionals and amateurs in various sports, have shaped his career with practical and applied experience.
- Trevor Anderson, CSCS is originally from Sarasota, Florida, and a 1999 graduate of the University of Central Florida. A multi-sport athlete, he played professional football for three years, and is one of the pioneers of the popular extreme basketball sport SlamBall, competing in the first International Slamball tournament in China, winning the Championship and achieving MVP Honors!
- T.A. has been training and coaching in the fitness industry for over 20 years, gathering experience and learning from the best coaches, training the best athletes, and working with many of the top companies in the industry. His multi-sport and multi-modality approach keep his sessions interesting and educational, as well as challenging enough to get the best out of each athlete and client.
- His qualifications include, but are not limited to: NSCA –Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS), Under Armour – Master Performance Trainer / Brand Ambassador / Director of Golf Performance / UA Training Team, TRX – Master Instructor, USA Track & Field – Level One Certified Track Coach, SPRI – Master Instructor, and The Leadbetter Golf Academy – Golf Performance Expert and Consultant
Highlights from this Episode
- Trevor kicks off the episode talking about how he transitioned from an athlete focused on self-betterment to a trainer to help others achieve their goals and ultimately owning his own business. He explains Slamball (extreme basketball with trampolines,) and how it was an integral part of his growth as an athlete and a coach.
- How the name of his business, Better Every Day®, got it’s meaning and how he conceptualizes it in training his golfers. A fraction of improvement can be the difference in the turnout of a game when you are working and playing at professional levels.
- We talk about how as fitness professionals, you have to understand your strengths as well as other coaches strengths in terms of how you define your career and position, as well as the importance of being able to speak the game to your athletes (both pro and amateur.) He brings up great points like how raw strength doesn’t correlate to being a better golfer; it’s about understanding the movements necessary for you.
- He talks on his process with his athletes: How he thinks of himself as a how/why instructor, the importance of asking the questions to internalize the understanding rather than swinging through the motions, and how he just tries to make the best better. He hits on his key factors he hits on; Flexibility, Stability, Mobility, and Coordination, and how he believes these are universal across all athletes and sports.
Parting Questions . . .
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore? Happy Gilmore
Walk-up song for the first tee box?
So Fresh, So Clean by Outkast
18 holes with anyone in the world: Who and Where? Barrack Obama and Bandon Dunes
What has you most excited for the future? My opportunities to expand our facility and working with my incredible partners
Any last advice for the 18Strong Community? Face your obstacles.
“Do it Tired and Do it Scared!”
Jump headfirst into those challenges, you don’t fail you only learn.
Where to find Trevor Anderson and Better Every Day:
Links to the tools Trevor mentioned:
30% off the Probar Mobility (Use code “TA30”)
Join The 18STRONG Movement!
If you listened to the very end of this episode, then you know that there is a movement happening in golf and fitness. To join, simply follow this link to the private Facebook group and ask to join! Once you’re accepted, you are officially part of The 18STRONG Movement! Introduce yourself to the group and let’s get connected!