This week we’re talking with Jonathan Avalos, a golf fitness professional from Charlotte, NC. Jonathan is the owner of Athletic Golf Fitness, as you’ll hear in today’s interview, his philosophies and approach to training are very much along the same lines that we have here at 18Strong.
Jonathan encourages you to bring more of your natural athletic ability to the golf game in order to get out of your head so much, feel strong over the ball, and use the power and coordination you already have to play the game better.
Jonathan has a great Instagram account where he has a lot of videos and talks about different exercises and ways to maximize what you are doing in the gym as opposed to just the old school strength training workouts or static stretching that we see a lot of golfers doing. At Athletic Golf Fitness Jonathan is diligently working on bridging the disconnect many golfers have between athleticism and playing better golf.
Jonathan Avalos’ Background
- After graduating from Texas A&M with a degree in Exercise Science and being certified from the Titleist Performance Institute, Jonathan found his calling for golf and created Athletic Golf Fitness.
- Athletic Golf Fitness has quickly become one of the most trusted names in golf fitness.
- Jonathan has helped professional, collegiate, and amateur golfers take their game to the next level. Many golfers have experienced more control over their body and their swing with less effort and fewer thoughts.
Highlights from this Episode
- How he found golf late from a background originally in track and football, and the pros and cons of learning the game and improving the fitness of others when coming from fitness background first and a golf background second by finding a neutral ground with his clients.
- What he personally had to start implementing in his fitness and workout routines by either adding in or taking out, and how he transitioned from the more traditional “Meat-head” workouts with the sole intent of loading himself up more and more to working on different planes of motion and rotation and focusing on overall strength from a safety and longevity standpoint.
- He defines what he means by focusing on stabilization and what stabilization exercises he does to be able to resist, control, and be able to slow down motions.
- What sparked his decision to put out the consistent content via Instagram and how he manages his time, as well as what his practice and training looks like and how he manages his in-person and online clients.
- What the PRI (Posture Restoration Institute), how they aim to help positioning and breathing to fix any asymmetry and how he utilizes it in his practice.
- How being more athletic and focusing on yourself can help get you out of your head and into your game a little more as well as what he is focusing on with his golf game.
Caddy Shack or Happy Gilmore?
If you could pick a walk-up song to the first tee box, what would it be?
Lose Yourself by Eminem.
If you could play 18 holes of golf with anyone, who would it be and where would you play? Augusta with Charles Barkley, Phil Mickelson, and Tony Romo
Any last piece of advice? There’s so much content out there, always look at it from the filter of “What’s the easiest thing I can do to make myself better?”
Follow along with Jonathan and Athletic Golf Fitness at:
SuperSpeed Golf: Use the code “18STRONG” at SuperSpeedGolf.com
LINKSOUL: For your 20% discount on LINKSOUL gear, go to 18strong.com/linksoul or click the logo below.